Midwest Outdoor Experience (GearFest)
Eastwood MetroPark - October 5, 2013
Thanks to everyone who helped with the MVOC booth and events at the 2013 Midwest Outdoor Experience - Matt, Sharon, and Ben Bond, Kelly Spurlock, and Pat Shaw.
We moved the Get Out and O! Midwest Orienteering Challenge to an earlier start time this year (12:00) to catch some more competitors, and it worked! We had a great group of people come out to do the competition. There were 12 controls placed throughout the park, 6 of which were on the Try Orienteering course and 6 of which were farther out locations. Most locations were used in our June Super Moon Night-O. The competitors were given 30 minutes to punch as many as they could get to and return before time was up. Each control was worth 1 point and 1 point would be deducted for every 5 minutes you were late returning. The only other rules were that there was no swimming, and no walking on the railroad tracks. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place won Subway gift cards.
The results of the Score-O competition were:
1. Brian and Kim Peters - They punched 8 controls, losing 2 points with a final time of 36:55
2. Bill Greenwell, OCIN - He punched 6 controls, losing 1 point with a final time of 31:15
3. Wayne HS JROTC Warriors - They punched 6 controls, losing 1 point with a final time of 32:07
4. Girl Scout Troop 30240 Group #1 - They punched 6 controls, losing 2 points with a final time of 35:45
5. Girl Scout Troop 30240 Group #2 - They punched 6 controls, losing 2 points with a final time of 38:50
6. Girl Scout Troop 30240 Group #3 - They punched 6 controls, losing 2 points with a final time of 38:55
7. Patricia Shaw group - They started late
and did not hear all of the instructions and thought the event lasted for 1
hour. They punched all 12 controls but came in after
an hour was over.